ASHLAND, Ky. — The semifinals of the Braidy Industries $60,000 Women’s Tennis Classic are set. Zoe Hives (AUS) will face Robin Anderson (USA) and Ellen Perez (AUS) will face Katie Swan (GRB). Both semifinals will be Saturday at the Ashland Tennis Center.
Perez, the No. 7 seed in the tournament, beat last year’s finalist Maegan Manasse (USA) 6-2, 6-3 in the quarterfinals on Friday. Swan (GRB) advanced in the only three-set match of the day, defeating Ann Li (USA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
Swan beat defending champion Gail Brodsky (USA) 6-1, 6-2 in the round of 16.
The semifinals begin Saturday morning at 11 a.m. The doubles championship — Vladica Babic (MNE)/Julia Rosenqvist (SWE) vs. Sanaz Marand (USA)/Caitlin Whoriskey (USA) — will follow the singles matches on the Show Court.
Closing Ceremonies will begin at 1 p.m. on Sunday, followed by the championship match.
The Tennis Classic is again part of the US Open Wild Card Challenge in 2019. Three players who played in the Ashland tournament last year — with primary sponsors of Braidy Industries and Bon Secours Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital — went on to compete in the 2018 US Open: Caroline Dolehide, Asia Muhammad, and Whitney Osuigwe. Eleven others made it to the US Open Qualifier, including champion Brodsky.
Friday, July 26
Singles – Main Draw
(5) Robin Anderson (USA) def. Alexa Glatch (USA) 6-3, 6-3
(7) Ellen Perez (AUS) def. Maegan Manasse (USA) 6-2, 6-3
Katie Swan (GBR) def. (3) Ann Li (USA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
(8) Zoe Hives def. Hanna Chang (USA) 6-1, 6-3
Vladica Babic (MNE)/Julia Rosenqvist (SWE) def. (1) Hayley Carter (USA)/Maegan Manasse (USA) 7-6(5), 6-1
Sanaz Marand (USA)/Caitlin Whorisky (USA) def. Maria Sanchez (USA)/Katie Swan (GBR) 6-2, 6-2
Saturday, July 27
Singles – Main Draw
Court 1 – starting at 11:00 a.m.
(8) Zoe Hives (AUS) vs. (5) Robin Anderson (USA)
(7) Ellen Perez (AUS) vs. Katie Swan (GBR)
Vladica Babic (MNE)/Julia Rosenqvist (SWE) vs. Sanaz Marand (USA)/Caitlin Whoriskey (USA)
US Open Wild Card Challenge
The USTA will be awarding one (1) women’s main draw wild card into 2019 US Open based on performance in specific ITF World Tennis Tour events and specific WTA Tour events. The wild card will be awarded to the American player with the highest total of cumulative WTA singles ranking points from their best three (3) results – including points earned in qualifying and main draw:
- Week of July 8 – ITF World Tennis Tour W60 Honolulu, HI
- Week of July 15 – ITF World Tennis Tour W60 Berkeley, CA
- Week of July 22 – ITF World Tennis Tour W60 Ashland, KY / ITF World Tennis Tour W80 Granby, CAN
- Week of July 29 – ITF World Tennis Tour W60 Lexington, KY / San Jose WTA Premier / Washington, D.C. WTA International
- Week of August 5 – ITF World Tennis Tour W60 Landisville, PA / Toronto WTA Premier 5